John Smid and me-Graduation 1998 (above) & John Smid today (left) By now many have heard that Tennessee's Department of Mental Health & Developmental Disabilities determined that the "ex-gay" program, Love in Action, is operating two “unlicensed mental health supportive living facilities”. LIA has until Friday, September 23 to respond. If LIA statements in Eartha Jane Melzer's article are indicative to how the "change" program might respond, we may see LIA change right before our eyes from a clinical mental health compound into a house of praise and worship. Gerard Wellman, business administrator for Love in Action, and a former Love in Action client, said Sept. 13 that the organization has been in contact with the state but would not comment further. “As a church, we operate under a different set of rules,” Wellman said. Curious, and what rules might these be? What is even more curious is that according to LIA's site only one staff member ...
Musings of Peterson Toscano, an ex-gay survivor and creator of Doin' Time in the Homo No Mo Halfway House, Transfigurations: Transgressing Gender in the Bible, and Bubble and Squeak podcast.
Comments
I thought it could be because I enjoy seeing the hunky guys in tight fitting outfits....speed skating, figure skating, etc.
Maybe it's just me....
I imagine the environmental impact of such an operation must be pretty horrible. However, considering the widespread horrifying turmoil in Iraq, coal-powered snow is likely the last thing on the minds of families and communities there.
I guess "the desert" is for those folks (probably from the U.S. of A.) who don't know where that is. I don't know, just struck me funny.
Marvin, I find it interesting that you are now Christian and Republican. Do you think the two have to go together?
I think my voting history has lined up with where I've been on the gay/ex-gay path. I originally was registered a republican (because that's how I was raised and never could understand how a *real* Christian could vote Democrat). Then when I came out I switched to the Democrat party.
When I was ex-gay I switched back to the Republican party, and even cast a vote for GW (the first time around).
Now that I consider myself ex-ex-gay, I'm...oh. I don't know. I guess democrat. Sort of. And Libertarian and Green Party. But I can look at my voter registration cards and know where I was in my gay journey...
I really wonder why that is. Is it mainly the abortion issue? Sure as hell is not marriage equality. Most of the democrats are pansies about the whole thing.
I imagine the switching of the parties is just because Dems and liberals in general are painted as evil and anti-Christian. Mainly, to me, because of the abortion issue. But, really, the abortion issue has such coded meanings. After all, the argument for abortion rights is the idea that a woman has a right have power on her own. As much as it is about whether a fetus counts as human or not, it is also hugely about women's rights, and you can't deny that, even if you're arguing the other side.
And... Marvin enjoys watching the ice-skating? I'd've never imagined. (snort-snort-giggle-giggle)