John Smid and me-Graduation 1998 (above) & John Smid today (left) By now many have heard that Tennessee's Department of Mental Health & Developmental Disabilities determined that the "ex-gay" program, Love in Action, is operating two “unlicensed mental health supportive living facilities”. LIA has until Friday, September 23 to respond. If LIA statements in Eartha Jane Melzer's article are indicative to how the "change" program might respond, we may see LIA change right before our eyes from a clinical mental health compound into a house of praise and worship. Gerard Wellman, business administrator for Love in Action, and a former Love in Action client, said Sept. 13 that the organization has been in contact with the state but would not comment further. “As a church, we operate under a different set of rules,” Wellman said. Curious, and what rules might these be? What is even more curious is that according to LIA's site only one staff member ...
Musings of Peterson Toscano, an ex-gay survivor and creator of Doin' Time in the Homo No Mo Halfway House, Transfigurations: Transgressing Gender in the Bible, and Bubble and Squeak podcast.
Comments
I can only imagine that things feel tense and/or embarrassing right now. I commend you for working through the dry mouth and anxiety to stay for the whole sermon, and I'm so glad Soon was there with you.
And it can certainly get surreal when you know that controversy and prayers are swirling around, both completely wrapped up in each other.
I used to attend events in Christian schools and churches from time to time where other members of my family were active. Strangers greeted me by name--a few even said that they had been praying for me--so apparently I had been a topic of conversation!
I learned that it could be empowering to be present for and with my family members there, my head held high, and not get obsessive about what anybody else might be thinking of me.
At any rate, Marvin, please be gentle with yourself. Even if you've decided you wouldn't do a letter-writing campaign again, you acted in good faith. It won't surprise me, even if things are strange at church for a while, some good rises up out of the craziness.