On Monday I begin a three city tour of my new play, a one-person, multi-character, multi-gender play, Transfigurations — Transgressing Gender in the Bible , which explores the lives of transgender Bible characters. On Tuesday August 26, 2008 I will present the play at the headquarters of the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) 1640 Rhode Island Ave, Washington, DC. An hors d’oeuvres reception begins at 5:30 PM with the performance starting at 6:00 pm. On Wednesday I fly to Seattle, Washington for the Gender Odyssey Conference where I will mostly soak in the many amazing workshops, but I will also offer Transfigurations as a workshop on Sunday afternoon. Then I fly to New Orleans to take part in the Many Stories One Voice Conference . In addition to performing Transfigurations, I will also attend and present at For Such a Time as This: A Transgender Pre-Event. The last time I presented the play was earlier in the summer in Malta. The response there surprised me with many people telling me how...
Comments
It was a good crowd. Older mostly then the one at LIA last Monday, mostly church groups. It was very heartwarming to see all the concern in the crowd about the negative messages about gay people being discussed at Love Won Out.
Steve figured they had about 300 people inside...not a huge crowd by their standards (Lance said they got over a thousand in St. Louis). He figured the place was only three-forths full.
A new guy from LIA came out to the picket line and walked over to Lance. Said he wanted to hear firsthand from the kid about why he was so upset about his experience at LIA. Lance gave him an earful.
Got another chance to wave to John Smid as he left the conference. Alas, I had no yellow banner to wave at him this time. He looked like a man who was just trying to get out of Dodge as fast as he could.
I'll have photos up on my blog tomorrow.
So glad you were there to be counted and to help out. Sounds like you all did an amazing job.
Can't wait to see your photos.
And...Steve Boese was the guy who's name I was forgetting yesterday. He was there, he was actually inside the damn thing listening to what was going on. He said it's hard to just blend into the crowd when you aren't laughing at all the jokes or standing up and applauding every anti-gay speaker. So they finally recognised him.