John Smid and me-Graduation 1998 (above) & John Smid today (left) By now many have heard that Tennessee's Department of Mental Health & Developmental Disabilities determined that the "ex-gay" program, Love in Action, is operating two “unlicensed mental health supportive living facilities”. LIA has until Friday, September 23 to respond. If LIA statements in Eartha Jane Melzer's article are indicative to how the "change" program might respond, we may see LIA change right before our eyes from a clinical mental health compound into a house of praise and worship. Gerard Wellman, business administrator for Love in Action, and a former Love in Action client, said Sept. 13 that the organization has been in contact with the state but would not comment further. “As a church, we operate under a different set of rules,” Wellman said. Curious, and what rules might these be? What is even more curious is that according to LIA's site only one staff member ...
Musings of Peterson Toscano, an ex-gay survivor and creator of Doin' Time in the Homo No Mo Halfway House, Transfigurations: Transgressing Gender in the Bible, and Bubble and Squeak podcast.
Comments
Keep up the good work and hopefully you can start leading a newbie bible study group to help the people you've got in the door learn more.
Marvin,
Tirade, eh? Yeah, I guess so. I'm sorry. I've been really irritable lately, I think my online rep is starting to suffer. *oops*
Anyway, good luck with the Jesusses in your life, I guess if your evangelising brought three new people into your church, then... what can we say? I hope they find what they were looking for.
The Enemy is not happy... somehow that line stands out to me. Like, it should be a bandname, or at least a song. The Enemy is not Happy. Or a comic book! Yeah, it could almost be a twisted, pseudo-religious shonen-ai, like Chrono Crusade, but with Bishes, and more whipping! The Enemy is not Happy. Hey, I'd buy it.
OK, sorry, I had a bit of a geek-out there, I don't suppose anyone here knows what the hell I'm on about. Sorry. I still think it could be a band though. The Enemy is not Happy. Rock on.
Jack Chick is a bigot.
His little tracks are filled with venom and half-truths.
And Marvin, I'm not sure what to say. Like Joe, I never got those kind of results from my door-to-door adventures. Then again, I never tried Chick tracts either. We used to do the "we're just here to do a survey" method. Sometimes you just have to lie them into the kingdom!
Check out their myspace page (you may have to construct it first!)
Yeah, Willie, it has a nice ring to it. Sad thing is some sappy Christian pop duo will co-op the name and destroy it, thus making the enemy very happy.