John Smid and me-Graduation 1998 (above) & John Smid today (left) By now many have heard that Tennessee's Department of Mental Health & Developmental Disabilities determined that the "ex-gay" program, Love in Action, is operating two “unlicensed mental health supportive living facilities”. LIA has until Friday, September 23 to respond. If LIA statements in Eartha Jane Melzer's article are indicative to how the "change" program might respond, we may see LIA change right before our eyes from a clinical mental health compound into a house of praise and worship. Gerard Wellman, business administrator for Love in Action, and a former Love in Action client, said Sept. 13 that the organization has been in contact with the state but would not comment further. “As a church, we operate under a different set of rules,” Wellman said. Curious, and what rules might these be? What is even more curious is that according to LIA's site only one staff member ...
Musings of Peterson Toscano, an ex-gay survivor and creator of Doin' Time in the Homo No Mo Halfway House, Transfigurations: Transgressing Gender in the Bible, and Bubble and Squeak podcast.
Comments
Y'know, I haven't heard you mentioning much about friends. I know about Dolly, and your other friends from church, and a little about your mom. (I'm glad to hear you and Mom are communicating since she orchestrated the demonic attack with your ex a while back -- is there any outstanding tension?)
Do you have anybody who could drop by to watch a silly DVD with you while you're laid up? A buddy (male or female) who knows what kind of food you like who could surprise you with a favorite treat?
I try to be that kind of friend, often not successfully, and I hope you have some similar support at a time like this.