John Smid and me-Graduation 1998 (above) & John Smid today (left) By now many have heard that Tennessee's Department of Mental Health & Developmental Disabilities determined that the "ex-gay" program, Love in Action, is operating two “unlicensed mental health supportive living facilities”. LIA has until Friday, September 23 to respond. If LIA statements in Eartha Jane Melzer's article are indicative to how the "change" program might respond, we may see LIA change right before our eyes from a clinical mental health compound into a house of praise and worship. Gerard Wellman, business administrator for Love in Action, and a former Love in Action client, said Sept. 13 that the organization has been in contact with the state but would not comment further. “As a church, we operate under a different set of rules,” Wellman said. Curious, and what rules might these be? What is even more curious is that according to LIA's site only one staff member ...
Musings of Peterson Toscano, an ex-gay survivor and creator of Doin' Time in the Homo No Mo Halfway House, Transfigurations: Transgressing Gender in the Bible, and Bubble and Squeak podcast.
Comments
I know my life and the questions of my homosexual relation is harder then many others and that it is easier to just take on easy cases. But what about me? I can't get rid of my self and be a easier case. You and others can choose to look away. I can't.
Would God be pleased if I divorced the love of my life, the other parent of my children?
My hart and my love is the most important of course, but that doesn't make me less in need for support from other Christians.
I don't want to be a pain but my pain is real.
Great post. Have I ever told you that I think you have an incredibly attractive voice? And I mean that in the most heterosexual way possible.
However, I also know that your pain IS real--it's hard being a transgender person, as if you didn't already know that. It's even harder being a teenager and coming out as trans, which is what I'm dealing with right now. But you're really strong, and I respect that. I think that's really cool. :)