John Smid and me-Graduation 1998 (above) & John Smid today (left) By now many have heard that Tennessee's Department of Mental Health & Developmental Disabilities determined that the "ex-gay" program, Love in Action, is operating two “unlicensed mental health supportive living facilities”. LIA has until Friday, September 23 to respond. If LIA statements in Eartha Jane Melzer's article are indicative to how the "change" program might respond, we may see LIA change right before our eyes from a clinical mental health compound into a house of praise and worship. Gerard Wellman, business administrator for Love in Action, and a former Love in Action client, said Sept. 13 that the organization has been in contact with the state but would not comment further. “As a church, we operate under a different set of rules,” Wellman said. Curious, and what rules might these be? What is even more curious is that according to LIA's site only one staff member ...
Musings of Peterson Toscano, an ex-gay survivor and creator of Doin' Time in the Homo No Mo Halfway House, Transfigurations: Transgressing Gender in the Bible, and Bubble and Squeak podcast.
Comments
Thank you for the great laugh today! Someday we'll chat about my "wife"!
Jon...how the heck do you do it? Would love to chat.
j.
I love the idea with the fruit trees. I will save it in my hart until we get a garden of our own.
I have three children, 5, 4 and almost 2 yrs old. I am a gay transman and gave birth to them before my change. So both me and my partner are the biological parents.
God bless you Marvin!
alex in sweden
I haven't announced it yet on my site, but I will be in Sweden in September. I'll be in Malmö for their gay festival doing some shows and workshops. Don't know if it is close to where you live, but would love to meet you and your family.
I will be sure that Marvin hears all about your family. He is getting an education he didn't count on.
Peterson
I didn't get the chance to post before the shout-out audio blog came on, but I do want to tell you that I'm from Connecticut! Which diminishes the international flavor of things, but, what the heck.
I also join the other parents on this board... I have 4! Ages 16, 13 (boys), 11 and 7 (girls). All of whom think Marvin is baffling but funny.
Jane in CT
-Jon in Iowa City
I'm going through your posts now though, so I'm catching up.
And, yay, lots of parents. I'm not a parent. Unless you count my boyfriend. ^_^