John Smid and me-Graduation 1998 (above) & John Smid today (left) By now many have heard that Tennessee's Department of Mental Health & Developmental Disabilities determined that the "ex-gay" program, Love in Action, is operating two “unlicensed mental health supportive living facilities”. LIA has until Friday, September 23 to respond. If LIA statements in Eartha Jane Melzer's article are indicative to how the "change" program might respond, we may see LIA change right before our eyes from a clinical mental health compound into a house of praise and worship. Gerard Wellman, business administrator for Love in Action, and a former Love in Action client, said Sept. 13 that the organization has been in contact with the state but would not comment further. “As a church, we operate under a different set of rules,” Wellman said. Curious, and what rules might these be? What is even more curious is that according to LIA's site only one staff member ...
Musings of Peterson Toscano, an ex-gay survivor and creator of Doin' Time in the Homo No Mo Halfway House, Transfigurations: Transgressing Gender in the Bible, and Bubble and Squeak podcast.
Comments
You seriously asked a 70 something year old married man to de-gay his house so you wouldn't experience temptation? What about the scripture that says "...in this life you will have trouble..."? I know, I know, we should do our best to stay out of temptation's way...but you're gonna have to deal with it! Remember, "they overcame by the blood of the Lamb and by their testimony!" Taking JC Penney's out of the house won't cure your thoughts!
Congrats on the call up from Exodus! Hopefully you'll find your experiences with them as rewarding as it has been for millions of others.
j.
You haven't even started up Straight Way and Exodus is already trying to link up with you? Don't take this the wrong way, but how much of your ministry is actually in place? It just seems odd to me that you just started up and you're already getting linked up with this big-name program.
What kinds of activities or programs is Straight Way doing right now? How many people is it serving?
Take care of yourself!
-Jon in Iowa City
Or, look up the Church he is working under.
I am glad that Marvin alknowledged that he might/will still have gay attractions for the rest of his life. While he CAN curtail his gay activites, and get married....he has alknowledged that this will be something he has to deal with for the rest of his life. I can give kudos to your honesty.
What he should* do now is talk to some guys who have been living like this for 10-20-20+ years and find out what it's like.
(***I said "should", but of course that's just my opinion and Marvin has to find his own way.)
http://www.josephprep.com/JosephGallery/movie.html
I'll let Marvin contact me in his own time. (But I miss chatting with you Marvin!! I know you read these comments.)
kj, you need to explain this whole flannel graph thing. I know what you are talking about, but I have a feeling that some people may need a little explanation. (but I never discovered the hot factor of it) splain lucy.
Now, that's very interesting, I'm sure, but what was much more interesting to me, was that some of the characters were significantly better looking than others. Samuel, Shamuel, whatever, but two characters were always portrayed as extremely good looking -- King David, as a young man, and Joseph.
Of course I never drew attention to the fact that I thought the characters were very handsome, but who could blame Potipher's wife for noticing the young, chiseled, slave with the V-shaped torso?
Oh my! Have I revealed too much? I trust that such ideas do not bring harm to Marvin and I believe affirms his need to remove any images of Joseph from view. Hopefully the Sword of Truth Ministries does not have a flannel graph collection hidden away somewhere.