John Smid and me-Graduation 1998 (above) & John Smid today (left) By now many have heard that Tennessee's Department of Mental Health & Developmental Disabilities determined that the "ex-gay" program, Love in Action, is operating two “unlicensed mental health supportive living facilities”. LIA has until Friday, September 23 to respond. If LIA statements in Eartha Jane Melzer's article are indicative to how the "change" program might respond, we may see LIA change right before our eyes from a clinical mental health compound into a house of praise and worship. Gerard Wellman, business administrator for Love in Action, and a former Love in Action client, said Sept. 13 that the organization has been in contact with the state but would not comment further. “As a church, we operate under a different set of rules,” Wellman said. Curious, and what rules might these be? What is even more curious is that according to LIA's site only one staff member ...
Musings of Peterson Toscano, an ex-gay survivor and creator of Doin' Time in the Homo No Mo Halfway House, Transfigurations: Transgressing Gender in the Bible, and Bubble and Squeak podcast.

Comments
Our hope for you is unshaken, for we know that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in our comfort.
2 Corintians 1:7
It is very difficult for me to talk about these things. I will abide with you in prayer.
I'm very sorry to hear about this. I was actually talking to a friend of mine about your post, and she relayed a story about having a mild heart attack at the Toronto Blessing (have you heard of that?)
I guess she thought the chest pains she was having was something demonic. People around her just thought she was really in the spirit but she was just doubled over in pain.
Sounds like a horrible experience...
Thanks for sharing this with us. Guess it is good to think about these things - I mean, sometimes I wonder if I got addicted to these kinds of spiritual experiences in the churches I attended. I look back and wonder how much of what I experienced was actually God, and how much was the emotionalism of the moment - the same kind of hyped-up emotions that would make people not notice what had happened with Brother Felix.
After all, he said he doesn't have a computer or internet anymore.
A friend of mine was at a prayer meeting where someone had an epileptic fit. Everyone thought the holy spirit was blessing her and started praying, 'More Lord, more Lord!'
Thankfully, someone at the prayer meeting was a medical student and realised what was happening.
Its astounding what can happen when people get foccussed on God.
He is always thrilled to hear your comments and insists that he is praying for all of you (which I do not doubt)
Peterson